• VIP Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Premium Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Early MK8 Purchasers
  • Addicted to Racing
  • Persistent Posters
  • DLC Collectors
Hello everyone, today I will be addressing the state of Splatoon currently for the 4DR clan. We expanded into Splatoon about a year ago and looked to make it a second game for the clan. It was very hard to get it started from the ground up, especially due to the fact that the community was pretty established by the time we entered. We eventually got it going and had several members from our MKW crew who also owned Splatoon as well. The game definitely didn't reach its max potential for 4DR at any given time, but we did have a fair amount of activity the first several months. This activity started to dwindle tremendously as the school year commenced, as expected. Regardless though, we would play with each other a decent amount and whatnot. Nowadays, it's not nearly the same. I introduced LUTI (Leagues Under The Ink) to 4DR, which is a Splatoon league (similar to MKW's CSL/WL, except with a much friendlier and accepting community). This got some activity back into Splatoon, but it seems as though the activity is only present around the time where we schedule a LUTI match. Otherwise, the activity really isn't there.

As a staunch Splatoon player for the past year and a half, I know the ins and outs of Splatoon and was willing to take on the role of Splatoon leader. I wanted to continue to play MKW but it seemed that I would really need to be dedicated to Splatoon, so I spent most of my time on Splatoon and not much time on MKW. I wish I was dedicated throughout all parts of the experience so that we might have had a better shot at developing the clan even further, but it did not turn out that way. I could not really find any places that had basically a hub for casual Splatoon players or people that were not already around a community/team. In terms of the competitive side of things, some people joined here and there and honestly, you don't need very many people for competitive Splatoon. What we did need was a lot more people who would be casual and willing to squad, Turf War, and simply have fun with the game. It wasn't good enough. I take some blame for that as well, but it seemed a bit far-fetched to put so much effort into it as things didn't really seem dynamic (and still don't; the community is pretty much settled). Enough blabbing though, let me get to the point.

Currently, 4DR is in LUTI Season 4, the last season for LUTI per Splatoon 1. Once this season is complete, we will almost certainly cut Splatoon from the clan. Why is this? Here is a list of reasons why this decision has been made:

• I am busy with school. The past several months I've been engaged in work from more challenging classes and I haven't been dedicated enough. As a result, my grades have dropped a lot and I'm performing sub-par. I need to focus on school a lot more and any other things that are thrown my way. Putting a lot of effort into Splatoon alongside whatever else I do will be inconvenient for me and will simply hurt me in the long run. Considering I am basically the "bull behind the horns" for Splatoon in terms of 4DR, there is no one to really pass the baton over to.
  • Activity has decreased and is unfavorable. In the past, we used to be active enough on Splatoon. No longer is that the case and we hardly squad/interact with each other now outside of LUTI and general chatting. We could most certainly ramp up the activity, but it's most likely going to be a short-term thing and the issue will probably return. We don't have enough people to cater to at the moment as well. It would be very nice if we had more members on the Splatoon side of things to increase the activity and expand the clan, but it isn't very favorable currently. Furthermore, 4DR has required its members to be active on the 4DR forum for many years now. It seems that since the Splatoon side of things is more Discord-focused, as well as newer to the clan, the forum isn't really used by Splatoon members. The forum is the main source of communication for 4DR with many updates, events, etc. being posted on here. Aside from a few pushes to boast up the Splatoon sections and the activity of the Splatoon members, things have reverted back to a state of dormancy.
  • No one is necessarily ready to take on the role of Splatoon leader. All of our current Splatoon members have their respective strengths, but it would be a challenge for them to really turn Splatoon around for the clan and develop a lot of ties with the community and such. Getting many more members to join and keeping a continuous flow of activity would prove to be very challenging.
  • Splatoon 2 is upcoming in the summer. It will most certainly reduce the Splatoon 1 population by a very noticeable amount and make Splatoon 2 the hot topic. It is not worth investing a lot of resources into Splatoon 1 with this new, upcoming release.

These are pretty much the reasons on why dropping Splatoon would be a good idea at this point. In the future if 4DR is willing, we may expand into Splatoon 2 and test the waters there (especially since having another game in our repertoire is very nice), but only time will tell and it is way too early to even think about that yet. Resources should be spent on our already-established game, MKW, and saved for a newer Splatoon 2 if we ever expand into it. So this is pretty much all I wanted to talk about, letting you guys know what to expect in the future for Splatoon instead of rushing this idea and surprising all of you. If you have any questions or concerns, please post them below. Thank you. :)

$$_Rich_$$

Checkmate!
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$541
FC
3484-9248-7747
Clan
4DR
  • 4DR Veteran Members
  • 4DR Ex-Co-Leader Blue Shell
  • 2 Year Membership
  • Helping Members
  • Merchandise Holders
  • Bronze Members
  • VIP Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Premium Members
I think that this is a good idea because a lot of splatoon members are inactive. Considering the fact that no trial is required, some splatoon members aren't really active here. In addition, you can get Sherbet Land WR. Also, good luck on your grades. :)

Reactions: Justin

Azula

Sweet but Psycho
Staff member
Tech Admin
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
4DR Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$2,175
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
  • 4DR Ex-Leader Bill
  • 4 Year Membership
  • Helpful Threads
  • Forum Assistants
  • Addicted to Racing
  • Merchandise Holders
  • 50K Swag Bucks
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Helping Members
Thank you for making this thread Justin! I want to say this about Justin and his work for Splatoon for us: he has worked his ass off! It's totally incredible what he has accomplished and I would like to make it crystal clear that we appreciate everything you have done Justin and it hasn't got unnoticed. I've given him a rough time in terms of multiple aspects of Splatoon over the months because it wasn't performing how we'd like, and he was determined to keep pushing. It's extremely admirable and I am grateful for what has come out of us dipping our toes into the competitive Splatoon scene. So thank you very much Justin! :heart: Justin explained everything very well, but I thought I would put my own personal thoughts in on this topic as well. I was very happy with the idea of adding Splatoon when it originally came up. So we added it and things were OK but not really all that great. I kept telling Justin that things need to improve if we want to keep this game around. So he kept working on it and things didn't really improve unfortunately. I felt that Splatoon ultimately created a divide for us. I felt like we were two separate clans. The MKW Members didn't really interact with the Splatoon Members and vice versa. You had MKW on Skype and Splatoon on Discord. None of this felt right and that's when we decided that we needed to put an end to this. We've given it a lot of thought and have been discussing it for a very long time now, and this is what we think the best decision is. After LUTI is over, we will most likely become a MKW-only clan and all Splatoon Members will be removed. We will keep Discord around still of course, but it probably won't be very active once we get around to doing this. We may become a Splatoon 2 clan when the community around that is all new, but for right now, MKW-only is our best bet! We hope all of you can understand where we're coming from here and like Justin said, please feel free to reply with any questions if you have them!

Reactions: Jason and Justin

Ivan187

Fake Item Box
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$0
FC
4429-8185-5503
I can't say I'd be really disappointed about this because I can't even own Splatoon or a Wii U.

Jonny

>☆♡☆ My World ☆♡☆<
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$255
FC
4472-7682-1316
NNID
YourSmellySocks
Switch FC
SW-4604-8159-9402
  • 4DR Veteran Members
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Bronze Members
Splatoon was a great thing about this clan, but as with the clan, my dedication for it is also dropping and I'm on MKWii more than Splatoon at this point. I'm not happy that Splatoon is being cut, but I'll be able to deal with it.

Also I would be quite interested in taking some sort of leadership role to carry on Splatoon in 4DR (as long as I'm not on my own).

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin

Justin

<b><font color="red">Splatoon Freak</font></b>
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
4DR Social Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$1,272
FC
1033-5565-9518
NNID
EBJustin
Clan
N/A
  • 5 Year Membership
  • 4DR Ex-Leader Bill
  • S+ 99 Achievement
  • 2 Year Membership
  • VIP Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Premium Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Early MK8 Purchasers
  • Addicted to Racing
  • Persistent Posters
  • DLC Collectors
Yeah, I would like to point out the biggest problem was Rachel always eating dinner when we wanted to Splatoon. Every time we asked, she'd be eating dinner. :mad:

Rachy

4DR is love, 4DR is life. ♡
Staff member
4DR Leader
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Contest Designer
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$15,539
FC
0134-8501-1281
Switch FC
SW-1492-0752-5714
Clan
4DR
  • Contest Designers
  • 5 Year Membership
  • 50K Swag Bucks
  • Top Level Players
  • Weapon Collectors
  • 4DR Leaders
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Addicted to Racing
  • Contest Winners
  • Salutations
Yeah, I would like to point out the biggest problem was Rachel always eating dinner when we wanted to Splatoon. Every time we asked, she'd be eating dinner. :mad:
Not my fault! Blame my parents for making dinner at time when you guys are playing Splatoon and they forced me to eat dinner. :(

Alexander

Luigi time!
Staff member
4DR Leader
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$4,008
FC
2924-4388-5200
NNID
DarkVeaz
Switch FC
SW-0668-0927-2585
Clan
4DR
  • 4DR Veteran Members
  • 4DR Leaders
  • 5 Year Membership
  • Bronze Members
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • Salutations
  • Helping Members
I think this decision was to be expected as 4DR is mainly focused on MKW, but that's fine! Thanks for your amazing input on Splatoon, you guys got the experience what Splatoon offered for 4DR. I hope Splatoon 2 gives 4DR more options to be more favorable for everyone, and I also hope school/college and whatever doesn't get much in the way of activity for both games but it's always worth a try! It is amazing that 4DR joined the LUTI, I never expected this and I never knew there was such a thing but I'm glad 4DR participated and I saw how exciting it was! Great job everyone! :D

Reactions: Justin and Azula

Bloss

Banned
Banned
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$0
  • Bronze Members
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • 4DR Ex-Moderator Lightning Bolt
  • Contest Winners
  • 4DR Ex-Leader Bill
I think dropping Splat from 4DR is the best decision. It's been fun but not many play it as often as Justin does. It doesn't get as much attention as it does with MKW. 4DR is barely known in the competitive scene so it's not like its a huge loss there. I've really enjoyed subbing in for 4DR. Last season was amazing and it was great to achieve 2nd place. Whether you guys bring it back for Splatoon 2 will be down to whether anyone is actually committed and suited for the role and right now I agree with Justin. I just don't see anyone who can take over. That's just my two cents on it though. I wish 4DR all the best and thank you for letting me play.

owo

amaya

The Master of Faster
Staff member
Head Admin
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Active Forum Member
Contest Designer
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$3,473
FC
1808-0739-4570
NNID
SonicPro
Switch FC
SW-1469-9895-1872
  • 4DR Ex-Leader Bill
  • 4DR Veteran Members
  • Contest Designers
  • 5 Year Membership
  • Addicted to Racing
  • 4 Year Membership
  • 50K Swag Bucks
  • Splatoon Assassins
  • VIP Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Helping Members
  • Premium Members
Now I'm no expert at Splatoon or anything, but ever since I stopped playing as a co-leader, I've seen a slow decline of the game's activity in terms of the clan, and it rapidly crashed to a halt as soon as LUTI was introduced to us (since those tended to be the most active times of the clan for Splatoon by a LONG shot). Mario Kart Wii is basically our core for the clan. 95% of our activities nowadays (and forum topics when comparing our 2 games) involve Mario Kart Wii. I more or less saw this thread coming as soon as I stopped being active, and it was just a matter of when, not if. That does go without saying that Justin worked intensely hard on bringing this to the clan. I did as well when I was still active (more on the casual side vs. the competitive side), but after I left and invested more time in MKWii outside of 4DR, things started to decline. Justin basically was the only leader/co-leader doing any work after that because Rachel wasn't super active on the game either. Now I can really say that I seriously regret my decision to step down as co-leader because I would have been a huge help in keeping up the activity for the game, regardless of how little I was doing in the community.

I've read a lot of replies over the past day since this thread was posted and I want to say that I'm deeply sorry that this has to happen. I did not want this to happen by any means, and had I not stepped down almost half a year earlier, we probably would not have to make this thread in the first place. It sucks to see Splatoon die on us after almost a year of effort to really make it shine upon us, unfortunately to no avail. But I do appreciate all the effort we did to make an attempt to put ourselves out there. GG's friends!

WarSquid

うえちちぱべ
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$0
NNID
Slumplush
Clan
4DR,SN,$$
  • Bronze Members
  • Premium Members
I'm just reached S+...
I'll miss this clan,

Bye everyone:(

Azula

Sweet but Psycho
Staff member
Tech Admin
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
4DR Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$2,175
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
  • 4DR Ex-Leader Bill
  • 4 Year Membership
  • Helpful Threads
  • Forum Assistants
  • Addicted to Racing
  • Merchandise Holders
  • 50K Swag Bucks
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Helping Members
I'm just reached S+...
I'll miss this clan,

Bye everyone:(
We're still going on Splatoon! It's not over yet. And we'll of course continue to be a MKW clan after the fact, so we'll all be here. :)

WarSquid

うえちちぱべ
Premium Member
Bronze Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$0
NNID
Slumplush
Clan
4DR,SN,$$
  • Bronze Members
  • Premium Members
Yeah but I don't have Wiimmfi

Azula

Sweet but Psycho
Staff member
Tech Admin
VIP Member
Premium Member
Bronze Member
4DR Member
Awards
4DR Swag Bucks
$2,175
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
  • 4DR Ex-Leader Bill
  • 4 Year Membership
  • Helpful Threads
  • Forum Assistants
  • Addicted to Racing
  • Merchandise Holders
  • 50K Swag Bucks
  • VIP Members
  • Premium Members
  • Bronze Members
  • Contest Winners
  • Helping Members
Yeah but I don't have Wiimmfi
You should get it. o: But regardless, Splatoon hasn't been removed yet, so enjoy it while you can! :)

Reactions: WarSquid