• Welcome to the 4DR Clan Forum! You are currently browsing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access. For more access, the ability to post, and to have your own account, we ask that you register (which you can do here).

Capture Card Questions (1 viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachy

What a waste!
Forum staff
Super administrator
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
4DR veteran member
Reaction score
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$15,374
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
So, I may be interested in recording WWs and such and possibly getting my channel a bit more of an audience. I obviously want to have good quality with that, so I'd have to get a capture card. I'm not saying that I'm definitely going to get a capture card for Christmas, but if I were, what should I be asking for? What's the name of the capture card I should get (please get as specific as possible). Also, I know that a lot (if not all) capture cards come with video editing software. Do I have to install this? I ask for a couple reasons... I know that some of them come on discs (so 90s!), and I don't have a disc drive on my computer. If not, is it downloadable online? Also, I have a Mac with OS X and not any type of Windows machine. So, is the capture card and video editing software compatible with other operating systems besides Windows? My final question is do I have to install any video editing software? I hate downloading files, programs, etc... unless I absolutely have to. I have iMovie on my computer, so can I import any video from my capture card directly into that? I'm not looking to get super fancy here; just record some content with some music over it. Any expertise would be helpful!

The best choice out there that you can choose if ou want great quality for a fairly low price, it is the ElGato Capture HD. If you get it, you will have to install the ElGato software, and yes, it is compatible with Mac. You can then edit your videos using that same software.

So to be 100% clear, what exactly do I have to download (if anything)? I'm always very picky with that kind of stuff.

So to be 100% clear, what exactly do I have to download (if anything)? I'm always very picky with that kind of stuff.
The Elgato recording software, it's the only thing that can read the Elgato lol
iMovie already in your Mac by default

The Elgato recording software, it's the only thing that can read the Elgato lol
iMovie already in your Mac by default
Right. Perfect! Thanks for the help everyone. :)

@Zachy I've also been wanting to get a capture card to record my Wii U gameplay and I recommend getting the Elgato HD or Elgato HD60. Even though I haven't got the capture card, I've already downloaded the software onto my mac as you can see here: Screenshot

Cant wait to get my elgato and start recording. Hopefully you get one too :D

I'd definitely get Elgato, I have a HD PVR 2 but I am not sure if it's compatible with Mac. Elgato should be a no problem with Mac, so you should get that if possible. :D

I'd definitely get Elgato, I have a HD PVR 2 but I am not sure if it's compatible with Mac. Elgato should be a no problem with Mac, so you should get that if possible. :D
HD PVR 2 is not compatible with Mac at the time.

I could not use a capture card because I do not have a computer near my TV. I would have to get an HD PVR, which my parents did not want to get for me. Now it would be pointless anyway since I can't play MKW anymore.

:p:p
So, I may be interested in recording WWs and such and possibly getting my channel a bit more of an audience. I obviously want to have good quality with that, so I'd have to get a capture card. I'm not saying that I'm definitely going to get a capture card for Christmas, but if I were, what should I be asking for? What's the name of the capture card I should get (please get as specific as possible). Also, I know that a lot (if not all) capture cards come with video editing software. Do I have to install this? I ask for a couple reasons... I know that some of them come on discs (so 90s!), and I don't have a disc drive on my computer. If not, is it downloadable online? Also, I have a Mac with OS X and not any type of Windows machine. So, is the capture card and video editing software compatible with other operating systems besides Windows? My final question is do I have to install any video editing software? I hate downloading files, programs, etc... unless I absolutely have to. I have iMovie on my computer, so can I import any video from my capture card directly into that? I'm not looking to get super fancy here; just record some content with some music over it. Any expertise would be helpful!

Looking forward to those clan Worldwides with us. :p

omg I think I might get a capture card for christmas because I've always wanted to record shit

Elgato is compatible for the wii completely right not just the wii-u?? Do you get the cables you need for it, or are the cables and wires sold separately?

Elgato is compatible for the wii completely right not just the wii-u?? Do you get the cables you need for it, or are the cables and wires sold separately?
You get all the cables and wires that are needed, except you need two HDMI cables. It comes with one, so you will either have to use your second one or buy another one. And yes, it is compatible with both the Wii and Wii U.

Thanks for the information everyone! I actually had the same questions as Wolf, so that's very helpful to know. :)

Back