• Welcome to the 4DR Clan Forum! You are currently browsing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access. For more access, the ability to post, and to have your own account, we ask that you register (which you can do here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachy

What a waste!
Forum staff
Super administrator
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
4DR veteran member
Reaction score
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$15,412
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
The MKW community as a whole can be divided into two sub-sections: The casual community and the competitive community. The casual community is just here to have fun; maybe SLIGHTLY cares about winning and all that jazz, but not so much. The competitive community is all about being competitive and being the best that you can be. In the current Wiimmfi stage of things, the competitive community dominates online, whereas the 'divide' was arguably much more even in the Nintendo WFC days. Anyway, with that brief introduction out of the way, have you ever been in and/or wanted to be in the competitive community? And why/why not? For me, I was part of the competitive community for a few months when I decided it really wasn't for me and I much preferred the casual community. I just prefer to race casual; winning isn't really a huge deal to me. I don't really find clan wars fun-- I find them more of a mess a majority of the time if anything. I also don't like it because of how the competitive community acts (a majority of the competitive community that is). Every community has its good people and its bad people, but the Mario Kart Wii competitive community definitely has more 'bad people' than good. Sexual harassment, death threats, etc... just makes for a really gross community, and over what? A game that will mean nothing later. I think those people should channel all that energy into something more worthwhile (perhaps their actual life)! How about you guys?

I never wanted to be apart of the competitive community in terms of their attitudes/egos. It might not be all of them, but a vast majority of people are rude and/or act in strange ways. In terms of actual racing skill, it would have been nice (I guess) to have played on a good clan considering I actually "trained" and whatnot, but I'm fine with where I am and I don't need anything more than that.

yes

a54cc620411c4e08aab1bf5bf93ed9a2.png

I have had my fair share of competitive ties in MKWii, but eventually I left the scene for a while because I wanted to dedicate myself to the casual community (i.e. 4DR of course).

Okay don't take this post too brutally but i do want to talk about this in multiple ways, some of you may disagree with me but there we go.

The competitive community is where i get my drive in playing this game, i feel it poses as a challenge because it feels more like a try and play perfect as you can while having good team work. I like the pressure it puts on you and i find it really fun most of the time. Sure you can say people have egos but who the hell doesn't nowadays. Every gaming community has it may it be smash, mario kart, or even splatoon. The voice communication is one of my favorite parts about it because i like the way it sounds, and i've also met a lot of friends though this too.

Casual standpoint: Sure it's all fun to hop in a WW once in a while and race either trying or not. However this type of racing gets boring FAST. Most WW races are typical and not much can happen, in wars you're always trying to outsmart and outplay your opponents, but in worldwides not much is on the line except for a few VR points. Not to mention, when you're playing alone, it gets boring too not calling with people because friends make you want to stay, it has it's own science for it even outside of video games.

Take a show called Bar Rescue that is often broadcasted over Spike TV (if you know what that is) It's essentially a show that helps failing bars regain popularity and regain success by changing stuff around. Basically in the TV show, it relates to this scenerio. Where friends are more likely to stay in the bar if they arent alone. Same works for worldwides because it's boring.

This is basically why i still play competitive because without it, i probably wouldn't be playing this game.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that picture. :) I do have to ask though, what made you want to be a competitive player, even if it was only for some short time? I know you were a casual for a lot of your time on MKW- when did that change?
The competitive community is where i get my drive in playing this game, i feel it poses as a challenge because it feels more like a try and play perfect as you can while having good team work.
Well this post wasn't supposed to be a passive aggressive stab at the competitive community. I think you're just taking this thread as an extension of the conversation we had in the Skype chat earlier... this thread topic just is convenient and I happened to create it tonight- I could've made it any other night. Believe me, I understand why competitive people like being competitive. And I'm not trying to question anyone. This is just simply a discussion to see if anyone has been in or is in the competitive community, and why/why not. But I do have to comment on some of the stuff you said (even though I'm getting a little off-topic here.
Sure you can say people have egos but who the hell doesn't nowadays.
Eh, I'd say that it's arguable that there are people without egos there (and I mean everywhere, not just in the competitive Mario Kart Wii community). Regardless, there's a difference between just having an ego, and then being a prima dona/having a HUGE overinflated ego... which is what most competitive players seem to have.
However this type of racing gets boring FAST.
Right, but what you need to realize is that "thrill" you get by playing competitive is what casual players get by playing in a casual manner. It may get boring fast for you, but for casual racers, that is the thing for them. It just boggles my mind that competitive players are always here to defend why they like playing in a competitive manner, but they cannot begin to comprehend that people enjoy playing in a casual manner and don't need to be competitive in any way to have fun. I think wars get boring super fast, and I think they are an absolute prick in my ass to set up. But I'm not going to sit here and say that casual is the only way to go and god forbid anyone actually be a competitive player. Casual play isn't an inferior style of play just because it isn't your style of play... and I think that's how it's often viewed. I've been a casual player for years. I don't need wars or leagues or FFAs or any of that to make me excited to play Mario Kart Wii, and again- that's something I don't think competitive players understand. I think that casual players understand both modes of playing and why people do what they do, but competitive players only seem to understand why people are competitive and not casual; and are constantly trying to bring casuals over to be more competitive (when they don't understand that a competitive player's idea of "fun" certainly doesn't match up with what a casual player thinks of fun).
Where friends are more likely to stay in the bar if they arent alone.
If you WW alone, sure, that could be more boring. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, but I could see how that could get slightly boring for someone. But luckily in 4DR, we usually all WW together, so it's nothing that I really have to experience all that often.
This is basically why i still play competitive because without it, i probably wouldn't be playing this game.
I do think that your thoughts are valid and you certainly have a good reason for playing the way you do. :thumbsup:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that picture. :) I do have to ask though, what made you want to be a competitive player, even if it was only for some short time? I know you were a casual for a lot of your time on MKW- when did that change?
Casual got boring for me
Was casual from 08 to 15 then
I was introduced to CSL and I was intrigued in April 2015
Now I just don't have motivation since most of the games been drained out (again 08!)

Well this post wasn't supposed to be a passive aggressive stab at the competitive community. I think you're just taking this thread as an extension of the conversation we had in the Skype chat earlier... this thread topic just is convenient and I happened to create it tonight- I could've made it any other night. Believe me, I understand why competitive people like being competitive. And I'm not trying to question anyone. This is just simply a discussion to see if anyone has been in or is in the competitive community, and why/why not. But I do have to comment on some of the stuff you said (even though I'm getting a little off-topic here.

Eh, I'd say that it's arguable that there are people without egos there (and I mean everywhere, not just in the competitive Mario Kart Wii community). Regardless, there's a difference between just having an ego, and then being a prima dona/having a HUGE overinflated ego... which is what most competitive players seem to have.

Right, but what you need to realize is that "thrill" you get by playing competitive is what casual players get by playing in a casual manner. It may get boring fast for you, but for casual racers, that is the thing for them. It just boggles my mind that competitive players are always here to defend why they like playing in a competitive manner, but they cannot begin to comprehend that people enjoy playing in a casual manner and don't need to be competitive in any way to have fun. I think wars get boring super fast, and I think they are an absolute prick in my ass to set up. But I'm not going to sit here and say that casual is the only way to go and god forbid anyone actually be a competitive player. Casual play isn't an inferior style of play just because it isn't your style of play... and I think that's how it's often viewed. I've been a casual player for years. I don't need wars or leagues or FFAs or any of that to make me excited to play Mario Kart Wii, and again- that's something I don't think competitive players understand. I think that casual players understand both modes of playing and why people do what they do, but competitive players only seem to understand why people are competitive and not casual; and are constantly trying to bring casuals over to be more competitive (when they don't understand that a competitive player's idea of "fun" certainly doesn't match up with what a casual player thinks of fun).

If you WW alone, sure, that could be more boring. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, but I could see how that could get slightly boring for someone. But luckily in 4DR, we usually all WW together, so it's nothing that I really have to experience all that often.

I do think that your thoughts are valid and you certainly have a good reason for playing the way you do. :thumbsup:
It's not so much about playing competitive is better than playing casually. It all comes down to a person point of view. I often enjoy racing while talking to people over than just racing with music. It's who I am, I like to talk and be social and that's why i also feel that's how people become friends faster. Playing casuals could be fun to people who are casuals. Nothing against them (except what they did to custom tracks). But speaking upon my behalf it isn't my cup of tea.

Casual got boring for me
Was casual from 08 to 15 then
I was introduced to CSL and I was intrigued in April 2015
Now I just don't have motivation since most of the games been drained out (again 08!)
Ah, I see. Interesting. :)
It's not so much about playing competitive is better than playing casually. It all comes down to a person point of view. I often enjoy racing while talking to people over than just racing with music. It's who I am, I like to talk and be social and that's why i also feel that's how people become friends faster. Playing casuals could be fun to people who are casuals. Nothing against them (except what they did to custom tracks). But speaking upon my behalf it isn't my cup of tea.
I completely understand your point of view, and I understand why you play in a competitive manner. I just don't understand most of the shenanigans that go on in that side of the community, and I don't understand why competitive players can't grasp the fact that yes, there are actually people out there who don't find wars fun (shocking, isn't it!?!?). Again, I'm not trying to call you out specifically or really any player in the competitive community. I'm just talking about the community as a whole.

Not really, I have always kept away from the competition. I prefer to be competitive in different areas of my life not in a video game in which I will not win anything in life, I play to win but when I lose is not the end of the world, much less when I play with friends of this clan where the fun never lack. That's why I prefer avoid to join competitive clans because it seems ridiculous for me how some people can take this game so seriously.

I like the competitive community, and that's why I host civil wars.

I enjoy the competitive comity, except fr all the terrible stuff that goes on in it.

Back