How do i come out to my religious parents (1 viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Pyro

Banana
4DR swag bucks
$1,021
FC
0693-2039-1755
Clan
4DR
Lately, i'm having a lot of concerns about if i should come out to my parents or not. I live in a pretty strict Muslim Household, and, i'm trying to come out about 2 things here; The first thing(i don't know if it's really coming out or not, but i'll tell it just to be sure) is, that i'm atheist; I do not believe in any God, and i'm gay. I really don't know how to come out to my parents, or atlest my mother. I've discussed this with my boyfriend earlier too, and we both don't seem to really know how i should come out. I hope you guys might know something, as i'm pretty scared to tell them by just simply saying: "Hey mom, i'm gay".

Tien

Make sure you catch me from my good side.
Forum staff
Forum moderator
Premium forum user
4DR veteran member
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$9,356
FC
3957-3796-8309
NNID
DN12D45
Switch FC
SW-4087-6481-5033
Clan
4DR
Regardless of religion, your parents should love you no matter what sexuality you are. I would suggest maybe not telling them straight away, but maybe when you've become more independent (such as moving out of your family house). Take it slow and don't think that you are being forced to come out if you aren't comfortable. You are in control of yourself so you should decide when you should tell your parents.

Reactions: Pyro

Lycan

The Beast
Forum staff
4DR co-leader
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$8,128
FC
2411-1844-9418
Switch FC
SW-6092-7378-5415
I second with what was said above completely, and here's also a firsthand experience if it's any helpful:

For one, if you know how your parents are, and you are not at all comfortable with the idea, then I do not, and I reiterate, do *not* advocate the idea of coming out. I didn't even plan on doing so myself until I was financially independent for my own safety simply due to the fact about my mom being homophobic. I was lucky, she was much more accepting that I would have anticipated. If you, by any means, feel like you're jeopardizing your own safety, then I wouldn't even risk it, especially at the tender dependent age that you are. You still have a long way to go to adulthood, and even then, I still see kids (adults) all the time being booted out by their parents. I'd say wait until after then

Also worth mentioning, it's not fun at all hiding who you really are, but unfortunately we live in an unpredictable world where we don't have much of a choice (and I'm still advised not to notify people by choice just for my own safety, so there's that).