• Welcome to the 4DR Clan Forum! You are currently browsing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access. For more access, the ability to post, and to have your own account, we ask that you register (which you can do here).

How long do you envision Mario Kart 8 servers staying up? (1 viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachy

What a waste!
Forum staff
Super administrator
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
4DR veteran member
Reaction score
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$15,374
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
Obviously the game was released not so long ago, so we don't really have to worry about anything like this. But how long do you see the Mario Kart 8 servers staying up? The problem with Mario Kart Wii is that Nintendo had to rely on a third party to keep their servers up, which is most likely why they went down in the first place (but that's of course extremely debatable). Nintendo isn't relying on anyone for Mario Kart 8 (possible Mario Kart 7 too, but I forget), they are simply relying on themselves. So they could keep their servers up as short or as long as they wanted to. So with that in mind, how long do you think they will last before Nintendo pulls the plug on them? I feel like Nintendo will keep them up for an extremely long time, maybe forever. I would only see them taking them down if MK9 just completely flops. While that would be annoying, it certainly makes sense from a marketing perspective.

If MK9 screws up, then the same will happen to MK8, as what happened to MKW.

2020, at the most.

They should just replace MK8 with MKW. Now that's a good idea.

Probably a good 5-10 years, at most. If MK9 is successful then they'll probably take it down earlier.

Probably a good 5-10 years, at most. If MK9 is successful then they'll probably take it down earlier.
I find it interesting that you think that they will keep the servers up if MK9 is successful. I feel like the MK8 servers would go down if MK9 isn't successful. This would obviously be a marketing move to force people to the latest and greatest from Nintendo.

But if you look on the flip side, say the servers for MK9 are successful at an early time. They'll be sure to shut MK8 down in order to get those people into 9 to enjoy the good servers.

But if you look on the flip side, say the servers for MK9 are successful at an early time. They'll be sure to shut MK8 down in order to get those people into 9 to enjoy the good servers.
I think you and I are practically saying the same thing. We just have different reasons as to why Nintendo would do it. Unless I'm missing something? If I am, definitely feel free to correct me.

servers will 100% stay up but activity is what worries me

servers will 100% stay up but activity is what worries me
By "activity", do you mean people consistently playing over time?

By "activity", do you mean people consistently playing over time?
Competitive scene Mario Kart 8 will die end 2016 unfortunately but that is just my guess but people who play for fun(streamers, low VR player, etc.) will play for a lot longer.

Pokken is really gonna kill mk8 :(

I am going to say until 2021, if it follows the same path as Mario Kart Wii. Unless it won't, then probably 2019.

Not even near MKWii Servers

When I think about it now
it's probably going to be up as long as Nintendo Network is up but that's me
that could be a long time since Nintendo Network will be supported on the NX

Until the NX comes out, or soon after. Wii U had much less success than the regular wii, so i don't see the servers staying up too much longer. Then again, Nintendo didn't actually CHOOSE to take down the NWFC servers, they were kinda forced to. So maybe 5 years, tops. Most likely another 2-3 years.

Back