• Welcome to the 4DR Clan Forum! You are currently browsing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access. For more access, the ability to post, and to have your own account, we ask that you register (which you can do here).

Should I get a PC or a new Nintendo Switch? (1 viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

JackPuff

Triple Green Shells
Bronze forum user
4DR member
Reaction score
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$4,946
FC
3399-0264-7102
Switch FC
SW-6346-8157-4604
Clan
No
Hello all!
I’m a bit stuck on what I should do, since I’m struggling to find the right PC for me and my Switch isn’t connecting to my dock and, since I only slightly modded my Switch, I’ve been banned from online like everyone else who mods their Switch. My sister wants to have a Switch all to herself (so maybe I could pass it down to her) but she also wants to play every Animal Crossing game ever made with some enhancements (yup! She loves Animal Crossing! Just like Alex!). This leads me to ask the question:

Should I get a new PC or get a new Nintendo Switch?

I’m thinking I should get a Switch since most of the games I want to emulate on my PC are on consoles I can already emulate elsewhere. However, it would be more convenient if I could play them all in one box AND be able to play PC games as well.

What do you think? Please vote in the poll so I can decide.

Thanks! Lewis.

You'd want to spend a lot more money for a decent PC than a switch, but if you have the budget then PCs are way more versatile.

My dad set me a budget of £500, but I think I could get away with £600 - £650 if I ask him very nicely.

My dad set me a budget of £500, but I think I could get away with £600 - £650 if I ask him very nicely.
If you build it from scratch, you could get something nice. Otherwise, you'd get a decent prebuild but building one yourself would be cheaper.

If you build it from scratch, you could get something nice. Otherwise, you'd get a decent prebuild but building one yourself would be cheaper.
My dad is saying an absolute “no-no” to building a PC. He only wants me to get a prebuilt one, which is stupid since he has friends who he said can help. I guess he either just wants me to get my PC quickly or just can’t trust the experts he knows are there to help.

If you want to get some more games off the bat, get a switch. If you want more versatility, go for a pc

My dad is saying an absolute “no-no” to building a PC. He only wants me to get a prebuilt one, which is stupid since he has friends who he said can help. I guess he either just wants me to get my PC quickly or just can’t trust the experts he knows are there to help.
If you cannot convince him that there are literally so many upsides (imo) to building a PC, I'd recommend getting a Switch. If you can't custom build, you can't have some things be better than others, etc. giving you more customization on what you like and need.

If you cannot convince him that there are literally so many upsides (imo) to building a PC, I'd recommend getting a Switch. If you can't custom build, you can't have some things be better than others, etc. giving you more customization on what you like and need.
So true

Alright then:
So, according to my current knowledge, you are trying to build a PC, which has its only purpose to play games on emulators
Then you said before that you're going for 16 GB DDR, i5-9400 (expensive and unnecessary since Ryzen 3600 came out, Ryzen 2600 does more or less the same performance of Intel for a lower price) and a GTX 1660 Ti (in that price range a Vega 56 would beat the NVIDIA card).

Just to make it quick and easy - the setup is quite decent, you could try Wii/PS2 games on full speed and some upscaling with that, but just forget playing emus like Yuzu with that.
Speaking of Yuzu's compatibility, it is still sparse, so why even ditching the original console when over 80% of all games won't work fine?
Also, I wouldn't recommend building a PC, when you haven't gathered any knowledge about every part of your hardware and their installation itself first. If it's your first selfbuild, better try to get a prebuilt, especially when you're unsure.
You can update it afterwards in the future.
At last, I have recently recommended Fergus a setup under $550 with R5 2600 + RX 580 + 16 GB DDR4, maybe this could be good for you.

Now about the console... if you decide to buy a Switch again, mark my words:
Do not softmod this device, neither try any attempts, do not even try to run pirated games on that.
Keep the console as clean as possible or you just have thrown another 300 pounds in the rubbish again and I'm not sure if your parents are willing to see a third Switch in your household.
At least, try to use it for normal purposes, as Nintendo isn't kidding around with the topic.

I would get a decent PC but decision is up to you, hope I could help you with that. :)

what do you want more a PC or switch it is up to you,

Back