Trying to setup WIIMMFI with lan but I'm having issues. (1 viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SwordDude

Blooper
4DR swag bucks
$290
I've seen allot of tutorials and even allot of youtube vids like this one

My router is sadly to new to allow wifi to protected.
I did use my phone as a hotspot for ds downloadable events but it's connection is kinda trash if you want to actually play a game

However when I try to setup wiimfi with a lan adapter to play mario kart wii online I won't get the same options like the tutorials or the video that is listed above since it's cable and you can't really setup and alter the code.

so is my router incompatible with ethernet? like how does one setup mario kart wii online with a lan adapter

I have an original wii lan adapter

I can either use a wii or a wii u

any tips for lan adapter? or does everyone just use an old router for wifi only?

Dokan

stay sugoi。
Forum staff
4DR leader
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$18,722
FC
1294-4931-2036
NNID
/
Switch FC
SW-4185-9794-5014
Clan
4DR
My router is sadly to new to allow wifi to protected.
I'm sure, there is any router out there which is "too new" for the Wii - it just have to support the WPA2 standard, run on 2.4 GHz as the WiFi chip doesn't recognize 5 GHz access points and has to be in your range.
I have a brand-new router and my Wii doesn't have any problems connecting to the access point.

However when I try to setup wiimfi with a lan adapter to play mario kart wii online I won't get the same options like the tutorials or the video that is listed above since it's cable and you can't really setup and alter the code.
That's because after making a new connection and choosing "LAN connection" right afterwards, the Wii will start a connection test.
After it's done (no matter if successful or not) you can then edit the connection and add the DNS.

Or better yet, if you have an SD card and softmodded your Wii (Homebrew channel etc.), you can download CTGP-R, which is a very nice addition for Mario Kart Wii and has very nice features.

So, I don't think your router is broken or is too new, just check your settings again and please let me know what you have tried next after my post.

Last edited:

Dokan

stay sugoi。
Forum staff
4DR leader
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$18,722
FC
1294-4931-2036
NNID
/
Switch FC
SW-4185-9794-5014
Clan
4DR
The DNS in the video is the wrong one, as the video is from December 2018 and since November 2019 Wiimmfi has a new DNS: 95.217.77.151 (was also said in the video description).
Maybe you have entered the wrong DNS or so, i don't know - I can't really tell as you didn't have told me if the connection test was successful yet.
Edit: Also mentioned in the video description, the DNS method doesn't work on a Wii Mini or Wii U.

Last edited:
OP
SwordDude

SwordDude

Blooper
4DR swag bucks
$290
I had a succesfull connection when using the lan adapter but i could never alter the code to make it actually connect to the internet like with the ds for the pokemon games and such. could only do that with wifi

I however didnt know you could add the dns later after the connection test. will definitely try that out haven't done that. I haven't seen anyone mention that online or in the vids.

OP
SwordDude

SwordDude

Blooper
4DR swag bucks
$290
That's because after making a new connection and choosing "LAN connection" right afterwards, the Wii will start a connection test.
After it's done (no matter if successful or not) you can then edit the connection and add the DNS.

it's working now missed this for lan

Thanks allot really nice to play this game online again

I'll get some practice in and will get ctgp later on

Dokan

stay sugoi。
Forum staff
4DR leader
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
Awards
4DR swag bucks