• Welcome to the 4DR Clan Forum! You are currently browsing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access. For more access, the ability to post, and to have your own account, we ask that you register (which you can do here).

Was it hard to learn manual drift? (1 viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachy

What a waste!
Forum staff
Super administrator
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
4DR veteran member
Reaction score
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$15,374
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
Maybe I'm the only one, but when I started playing the game, I was a person who used automatic drift (and I used the Wii Wheel! That might sound like the worst possible combination ever, but I think I was definitely better at some aspects of the game with this combo). At the time, I just felt manual was really difficult to learn, so I kind of avoided it. Eventually I learned it, but it was certainly a more difficult task for me. Was it hard for you to learn it? Whether you converted from Automatic or you started with manual, we all had to learn how to use it properly.

It was kind of hard for me to learn it but eventually I got the hang of it. I also played with the Wheel on automatic (I think for a few months or so, maybe less) until I switched to manual. At first I didn't know how to drift properly with manual drift so I just never initiated the proper drift! No mini-turbos of course. I considered it "cheating" after a bit to use automatic lmao. It was fairly easy to transition from the Wheel to the Nunchuk about 2 and a half years ago, probably because of experience.

I started with automatic on the wheel, then I switched to classic controller. I tried manual the first time on BC3. I just kept repeating it there because if the squarish shape of the track. Then I made a new license, where I only used manual for the grand prix. After a long time, I got three starred legit in that license where I only used manual and I beat all the expert staff ghosts in time trials, so I deleted my automatic license.

I started using automatic with wii wheel because at first I found it much easier to handle. I start learning how to use manual at the end of 2013 but at first was not easy, It was so difficult for me because I always crashed with the wall or went out of the circuit, because I was not used to press the drift button at the right time. but with constancy, I start to play better than I did it before with automatic. In addition I managed to overcome my records in time trials with a big difference. :)

I started using Baby Mario Baby Booster Automatic (LOL), and eventually transitioned to Manual in 2010 after looking for more challenge, but I found it easier than Automatic because you could start your drift quicker. I played around with it a little bit and got to the point where I am now.

when I first picked up the game I used manual first thing :p

From what I can remember (from 2011, lmao) it wasn't too difficult for me to adapt to it

and I used the Wii Wheel! That might sound like the worst possible combination ever
oh

From what I can remember (from 2011, lmao) it wasn't too difficult for me to adapt to it

oh
Well doesn't it?!? I mean Wii Wheel and automatic certainly isn't the mainstream way to go in this game (not that it's bad or anything, but that's exactly what I'm trying to point out- it's not maimstream). :D

Not really because of how beneficial it was.

Nope, I started off with automatic wii wheel then changed to manual fairly easily. Wish I could do the same with Splat tho :(

I started using automatic with Wii Wheel in 2009. But I was confused when I tried to use manual and I keep messed up while drifting because I use outside drift bike a lot and then I tried to use inside drift bike (Mach bike)... I keep ran onto off-road, wall, etc... I don't like it LOL. But at least, I've finally learned to use manual while drifting with inside bike in 2011 lol.

mario kart wii is kinda unique. every other mario kart game in the series I could easily just get into it

but for mario kart wii i had to practice to get good with manual drifting even with the correct bikes.

When I first started mario kart wii back in the day I started with automatic because manual was so hard to pull off compared to other mario karts. I was really good at other mario kart games beating my friends majority of times. but manual on mario kart wii at first I sucked really hard. I was like a beginner while I usually am pretty good at the get go with pretty much every other mario kart.

if where talking wii wheel casual play manual automatic way to go. Manual with wii wheel is a disaster.

Up until about a year ago I used automatic with the wii wheel, then I did manual karts with the wii wheel, then it was manual bikes with the wii wheel, but by then my controllers had been old and janky for a while, so I switched to nunchuck and found it was actually easier.

it wasn't too hard of a change, only took a small amount of time but, people didn't like me using it in our family because it would be "too hard"

it wasn't too hard of a change, only took a small amount of time but, people didn't like me using it in our family because it would be "too hard"
I know. I would play with my brother and he would THROW CONTROLLERS when I would win. I then did the obvious thing, I taught him to use manual. He still uses a wii wheel though. I may need to teach him to use a better controller. Any tips?

Automatic ain't to bad it's only bad for online when you actually get good players. I used to pretty much beat anyone with automatic wii wheel and get 3 stars in all cups. getting consistent top spots in them early years online with automatic wasn't that much of a stretch either.

I did need to learn manual to complete all time trails though there where certain stages that simply cannot be beaten with automatic. some of those expert ghosts where actually pretty hard from what I remember for those last few unlockables. Mario kart wii and automatic personally felt like other mario karts minus the snaking wich was availble in some of the past games if where talking drift. manual in mk wii felt so foreign to me in the beginning I've never had that with any other mario kart.

if your going manual wheel is the worst way to go. wii wheel was definitely made for automatic.

I'd recommend nunchuk and wii controller combo as his alternative controller method for manual.

Since stunts are done the same like with the wii wheel

Cube controller is nice but I'm personally more of a classic controller kinda guy but nunchuk and wii controller is just as viable competively.

most time trail records low and high are done with wii mote and nunchuk for mkwii.

Last edited:
Automatic ain't to bad it's only bad for online when you actually get good players. I used to pretty much beat anyone with automatic wii wheel and get 3 stars in all cups. getting consistent top spots in them early years online with automatic wasn't that much of a stretch either.

I did need to learn manual to complete all time trails though there where certain stages that simply cannot be beaten with automatic. some of those expert ghosts where actually pretty hard from what I remember for those last few unlockables. Mario kart wii and automatic personally felt like other mario karts minus the snaking wich was availble in some of the past games if where talking drift. manual in mk wii felt so foreign to me in the beginning I've never had that with any other mario kart.

if your going manual wheel is the worst way to go. wii wheel was definitely made for automatic.

I'd recommend nunchuk and wii controller combo as his alternative controller method for manual.

Since stunts are done the same like with the wii wheel

Cube controller is nice but I'm personally more of a classic controller kinda guy but nunchuk and wii controller is just as viable competively.

most time trail records low and high are done with wii mote and nunchuk for mkwii.
Yeah, one thing though is if you look at time trials, you notice that a lot of top 5 records are wii wheels.

Yeah, one thing though is if you look at time trials, you notice that a lot of top 5 records are wii wheels.
sure some ppl are really good with wii wheel manual it has the same potential

but it's a small group

It's not that popular because steering requires motion controls and in all honesty you might have some inconsistency compared to a normal control stick in some races as a result.

If your brother is really good at manual with wii wheel you could stick with that option otherwise you might save allot of time picking a different controller to get good with manual. The people that usually stuck with the wii wheel option where really good already tons of time investment so why bother swapping to a new controller. if I had to make a guess at least. on average it's probably allot harder to get good with manual with the wheel compared to any other option.

Any mode is viable, you just gotta know how to use it. I know a few auto and wheel players and they are really good.

As for me, using auto is fun, especially on WWs:p

Back