• Welcome to the 4DR Clan Forum! You are currently browsing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access. For more access, the ability to post, and to have your own account, we ask that you register (which you can do here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachy

What a waste!
Forum staff
Super administrator
VIP forum user
Premium forum user
Bronze forum user
4DR veteran member
Reaction score
Awards
4DR swag bucks
$15,374
Switch FC
8168-6171-5811
Clan
4DR
If you know anything about battles, you'd know there are various strategies. Some are quite cheap in my personal opinion, but they are strategies nevertheless. The biggest three in my opinion are:
  1. Wallthrowing. This is when you go up to a wall on stages such as GCN Cookie Land and throw your item over the wall (versus going around the wall to get the person).
  2. Respawn hits. This is a huge problem on stages like GBA Battle Course 3. This is when you have all your balloons popped in a balloon battle, you die, respawn, and before you can even get an item; your opponent comes over to hit you and you get hit since you didn't have an item to protect yourself with.
  3. Stealing item boxes. I think this is the cheapest of them all. If you hit someone with red shells or something, you steal the item boxes within close proximity so the person can't get an item box and you can hit them again.
A lot of people aren't fans of these strategies, especially wall throwing for some reason. When competitive battling was a thing, it was actually banned from being used in clan wars. It's a strategy and I really don't see the problem with it when nearly everyone does it. It's like trying to wheelie bump someone near you in races. Annoying and cheap? Sure. But it's still a strategy nevertheless. Now things like respawn hits and stealing item boxes I think are things that are absolute garbage. I'll admit I respawn hit because everyone does it, so you don't really want to put yourself at a disadvantage. But stealing people's item boxes? I don't do that (at least on purpose) because I think it's a cheap "strategy" and never played so dirty like that. What do you guys think about these various strategies? Are they legit?

If they're in the game, that means any can and should use them to their advantage. :)

I don't use strategies for battle, i just only go by myself and do the battle like a normal person :ranger:

I am not an expert in battle but based on what I know I say that the battles more than in the races it is a mode more aggressive by the simple reason that you must hit your opponents the max amount of times, why? because it is a battle! you must achieve the highest score either balloons or coins. Strategies divide novice players from experts. That's why I think that any strategy is valid for the simple reason that your team win.

It's a very control-based metagame, and once someone has control, it's very difficult to take it back. I'm certainly no expert at battles (@Azula), but I can certainly tell it's based around stage control like many other battle-type games because of these strategies.

It's a very control-based metagame, and once someone has control, it's very difficult to take it back. I'm certainly no expert at battles (@Azula), but I can certainly tell it's based around stage control like many other battle-type games because of these strategies.
I don't really get what you mean. If someone has "control" by winning 6-0, it is not at all impossible to come back. :p

Yes. I believe that you're referring to coin runners. Balloon battles on the other hand can't come back.
You can definitely come back in balloon battles. Ask @Rachy or anyone I battle regularly. We both do it all the time!

You can definitely come back in balloon battles. Ask @Rachy or anyone I battle regularly. We both do it all the time!

It's hard to chase someone from one side to another, then come back from a 5-0.

It's hard to chase someone from one side to another, then come back from a 5-0.
In bigger stages, sure it's harder, but not impossible. In smaller stages which are definitely the most played, it isn't impossible at all. In fact, it's extremely likely you'll come back unless you're total trash at battles. :p

In bigger stages, sure it's harder, but not impossible. In smaller stages which are definitely the most played, it isn't impossible at all. In fact, it's extremely likely you'll come back unless you're total trash at battles. :p

That's arguable because if the enemy was able to get a 5-0 at the first half, then most likely you can't get 6 more points without him scoring anything. ;)

That's arguable because if the enemy was able to get a 5-0 at the first half, then most likely you can't get 6 more points without him scoring anything. ;)
But the thing I think you're missing is that a person only has three balloons by default. Once they lose all their balloons, they lose a point. So if it were 6-0 and you hit the person three times, it would now be 5-3. Not that hard to catch up, especially since you get very powerful items when you're losing. :)

But the thing I think you're missing is that a person only has three balloons by default. Once they lose all their balloons, they lose a point. So if it were 6-0 and you hit the person three times, it would now be 5-3. Not that hard to catch up, especially since you get very powerful items when you're losing. :)

I never knew that the item system was like that during battle. ;)

Back