1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is more important?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart Wii General Discussion' started by boxtop, Jun 13, 2018.

1. boxtop

boxtop I just want that one person. VIP Member Premium Member Bronze Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,862
    Clan:
    4DR
    In your opinion do you think items or lines are more important?

In my opinion, I think items are more important because not only do you have multiple options, you have resources to potentially nab first place. Not only can you snipe people, but you can take shortcuts as well that’ll help get you into first.
    I remember someone saying that lines are the most important thing but i think that’s pretty false. I’m not saying that likes are utterly useless but I think items are much more important.

2. Alex

Alex 15/04/2017-27/08/2018 VIP Member Premium Member Bronze Member 4DR Social Member Active Forum Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $16,124
    FC:
    4043-2716-9973
    Switch FC:
    SW-1962-1671-2223
    Clan:
    4DR
    I agree, items! Lines won’t be much use to you if you can’t use items in my opinion! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. boxtop

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,862
    Clan:
    4DR
    Exactly

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexander

Alexander Luigi Time! Staff Member 4DR Leader VIP Member Premium Member Bronze Member Active Forum Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $27,565
    FC:
    2924-4388-5200
    NNID:
    DarkVeaz
    Switch FC:
    SW-0668-0927-2585
    Clan:
    4DR
    Did you just create this thread because I have weird lines? Just kidding, lol. :p I think that items are more important than your lines. It's difficult to get a good place without protecting yourself.

5. boxtop

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,862
    Clan:
    4DR
    Noo and that’s always true.

6. Peyton

Peyton Green Shell 4DR Veteran Member Bronze Member 4DR Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $3,425
    FC:
    4773-4165-4586
    Clan:
    4DR
    Items! Lines are super important too though

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crystal

Crystal Banana 4DR Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,387
    Clan:
    4DR & ιイ
    Items are obviously more important because some are simply objectively better than being able to race good. If you fall behind you WILL get all the best items to help you catch up, while lines can't really do that. (Also Luigi circuit is still the best rack)

8. boxtop

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,862
    Clan:
    4DR
    I agree completely except Luigi circuit is garbage

9. Crystal

Crystal Banana 4DR Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,387
    Clan:
    4DR & ιイ
    No u

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ultra Jiren

Ultra Jiren trust does not exist, strength is all! Premium Member Bronze Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $752
    FC:
    1423-3422-4278
    Clan:
    p. tropers
    depens on the track but overall i whould say items, for example, u can shock dodge in like 9th and get first/second

11. hxri

hxri 'o' - Hari 2018 Bronze Member 4DR Member Active Forum Member

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $3,524
    FC:
    5117-0143-6379
    NNID:
    itzHari
    Clan:
    4DR
    Lines / Items really depends

12. ParisAP

ParisAP Sayonara. VIP Member Premium Member Bronze Member

They are both equally as important, theres no way one can be better than the other.
    If you have terrible lines yet know how to use items, you can still get fucked up because you dont have the lines to come back.
    If you have the greatest lines yet have no clue how to use items correctly, you can get fucked over and lose.

So personally there really is no way to make one more important than the other.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. boxtop

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,862
    Clan:
    4DR
    True. But In most tracks I would say that items are definitely more important. The one track I can think of where items aren’t that important is Toad’s Factory, because you can do the cut shroomless if you know how to do it. But you can also block the cut
    --- Post merged ---
    Preach

14. Trash

Trash Triple Bananas

4DR Swag Bucks:
    $1,061
    Ultimately item usage and decision making is more important than lines, to a 60-40 ratio, imo at least. It's a more complex skill to learn (lines are straightforward to learn but HARD) and this is what separates a good player from a GREAT player as most people have similar lines. The importance of lines varies between luck tracks like LC (where it doesn't really matter) to frontrunning tracks like TF where it matters a lot as it is not easy to catch up. Also, even if your item usage is perfect, you will have a hard time winning on tracks where you aren't good at the shortcuts such as GV and Bc3. Generally, your lines are good enough if you can stay ahead of the pack for 60 seconds when in first (if you don't get hit) and item usage and decision making is what really sets good players apart from the rest